Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of Class...well, for me at least :)

Tonight, I'm going to speak on the discussion that was going on toward the end of lecture today. As I sat their listening to the question Dr. Alexander posed--[Why are there so many bad outcomes even though so much money is being put into healthcare?]--After the numerous attempts by other classmates to answer this question, I was even getting frustrated. But, then we came to a conclusion of how the disparity in healthcare in America is a significant factor pertaining to the many bad outcomes. But then we began to pull apart the roots, causes, and possible solutions to the disparity. This became even more frustrating. After the second round of attempts by my fellow classmates to attempt at answering this question, I was beginning to get a little bit discouraged. Because even after so much work being put into educating those in urban communities where most have no healthcare, even after children having access to healthcare benefits, and EVEN if we gave everyone a plastic card giving them access to healthcare, things would not change. Dr. Alexander then explained about how in those communities, coming in and changing their way of life is almost insulting, and how healthcare can be put at the bottom of lists of priorities when you are trying to figure out how you are going to feed your children. That changes things a whole lot! For so long, I've been an avid advocate for Universal Healthcare, but then again, whose to say thats really the answer or "cure all"? You see, the problem here is almost intangible. Yes, we can see these things, but what can you really do about it? And as our reading in the textbook put it best, also in the best way I remember and understand it, there is a reason why theorist hate those in Public Health- there is a difference between theory and practice, and public health is the practical approach in trying to combat some of society's ills. But, I can say at the least, even though I don't have the answer or solution to the example above, I am encouraged. I am encouraged to think outside of the box; I'm encouraged to look at all aspects of a problem, not just in one dimension; I am encouraged to keep on thinking and trying to answer these questions. Tackling these almost intangible issues looks almost impossible now, but I believe, even after this class, I will have the ability to do just so.

Until Later,
Tommy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment