Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Assignment #1- First Official Blog :)

Hello! My name is Thomasina Anane and this is my blog for my Intro to Public Health class. Here I will discuss my perceptions, thoughts, opinions, and much more about topics discussed during lecture and in the readings. I am interested in Public Health because of the many opportunities it presents to change healthcare in America and around the world. As stated in my first unofficial blog, if anyone cared to read it, I am very much interested Universal Healthcare and how it could be implemented in America. I know, if you are turned off by socialist, this is a pretty extreme vision to have. Though I do not consider myself a socialist, I do hold few socialist ideals. Anyway, I am fully aware that there is much opposition against this idea, and I want to clearly understand why. I want to learn of maybe other methods of changing healthcare, and I want to learn about the different ways in approaching healthcare by the route of Public Health. I am taking this class because I believe it will provide the perfect foundation for understanding and insight into Public Health. I believe it will help a lot with my career aspirations and maybe even narrowing down what I'm looking to and also even opening doors as to where else I could help when it comes to Public Health. Also, knowing about all aspects of Public Health, such as Epidemiology, Health Policy, and such, will help a lot in getting a solid base. Public Health, as I have understood it, and the best definition I've seen so far, is Winslow's definition: Public Health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life, and promoting physical health. Public Health can be divided into six disciplines which are: Epidemiology, Statistics, Bio Medical Science, Social & Behavioral Science, Environmental, and Health Policy. These disciplines all work together is promoting and seeking to fulfill Winslow's definition of Public Health. Long-term interests include a career in Public Health, especially in Health Policy. I would love to work in changing healthcare for the better, specifically in America. But, of course, I plan on majoring in Public Health to learn about all these different disciplines and staying open to all of them. My impression of the first two classes is pretty good. I guess I didn't view it as a lecture class, but I don't mind as much. I like that we are able to ask questions and briefly discuss our thoughts in class. But, I do feel like I'm in the right place in taking this class, because I can confidently say that this is what I want to do with my life with every class I attend and page I read in the book. And I love it..!


-Thomasina Anane

No comments:

Post a Comment