Friday, November 12, 2010

Blog #10: Final Paper Topic

I am still debating whether or not I want to write about this topic, but I am looking to write about Childhood Lead Poisoning in the city of Baltimore or Washington, DC. My paper would address either is prevalence among those in low income areas, in general, or just about homeowners who are not under the Maryland Lead Law. So, basically in Baltimore, there are still about 5% of children testing positive for lead poisoning. In Maryland, the rate is about 0.5%. Also, in Baltimore, there is a huge gap in the number of children being tested. The blood lead level of concern now is for lead poisoning is 10 mL/g. But there is no safe level of lead. Lead poisoning has its greatest impact on children aged 6 years old and younger. They are exposed through lead paint and dust in homes, drinking water, soil, toys, among many other common areas.
This problem is very important because lead poisoning causes many implications. Lead is a neurotoxin and carcinogen. It causes brain damage, mental health issues, violent behavior, academic failure, and many other problems. Because of these hazardous effects, it makes it rather difficult for children to focus and behave and makes them anti-social and violent. This problem is very relevant to Baltimore and Washington, DC because even though this problem has been helped tremendously, these areas still have a widespread prevalence of lead poisoning.
This problem is of interest to me because I've done a lot of research on it and I genuinely love children! I feel like every child should be able to reach their fullest potential. Lead is 100% preventable, but in no way curable! This is not a significantly difficult problem for it to still be causing so much damage in these areas. Lead poisoning has societal implications and  vigorous efforts should be made to address this issue.

-Thomasina :)

2 comments:

  1. Good topic. Lead poisoning for children in Baltimore looks very specific and data is available. Did Dr. Links' environmental health lecture (i believe it was OCt 6) go into detail about childhood lead poisoning? IF not, then this topic sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think he did. He may have mentioned it, but I don't think he went into much detail..at least I don't see that he did in my notes.

    ReplyDelete